Thursday, January 12, 2017

Told I Needed Braces

I had been waiting a bit to see if I could pick up more traffic to my blog before I started posting. I'm a bit disappoited in the lack of response so far, but I'll just start my story and hopefully they will come. I would evenually like my blog to be a place where we can have fun sharing or experienced with this odd thing called orthodontia.

I have a survey/poll up, accessible at the top of my blog, and by clicking here, regading having braces during the 50s, 60s, '70s or '80s.  The point of this survey is to find out more (and give people a chance to share) about having braces back "in the day" when they weren't a popular accessory (like they sometimes are today among teens). I'd encourage anyone who has had braces back then to take the anonymous survey and share your story.  I should have a new survey up soon about having adult braces . . . be on the lookout for it.

I got my braces in my thirties a few years ago. The reason was basically crowding. I was suddenly surprised when I went to a routine dental checkup, and first the dental assistant, and then the dentist, both recommended going to an orthodontist. The assistant did my cleaning first, and as she probed around in my mouth, mentioned I may have a problem. She took a page from a stricky pad and wrote on it: "Adult Ortho?"  The dentist then looked at me, and at one point mentioned that I had some problem with crowding that had caused a substantial misalignment which could be problematic. I did have some clear crowding on my lower teeth that you could see from the frint, but noone until then had said anything about it. Apparently, the crowding had caused even worse problems in my back teeth. I was given a referral to an orthontist, and suddenly to my surprise I was taking at the start of my orthodontic journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment