Friday, February 24, 2017

My Retainer and Other Artifacts



I was digging around my house to see if I could find some artifacts from my orthodontic treatment. I located the retainer I received after finishing two years of fixed braces on both upper and lower teeth. As you can see, my upper retainer is decorated with this nifty alien cartoon.  Ooooo, spooky.  The thing in the back is my retainer carrying case.


Here's another angle of my top retainer (left) and my bottom retainer (right). 


Here's another angle with the top retainer (left) flipped over to see the other side.

As you can see, the lower retainer has a cool feature: there's a molded piece of acrylic attached to the labial bow wire, to hold the teeth in their place.  I liked this neat piece.


Unfortunately, I moved to a new location shortly after getting my retainer. Although I wore my retainer good amount of time before my move, I stopped wearing it consistently after my move. My teeth still look okay, but there has been some shift. Maybe I should go for another round of adult ortho? I'll have to give that one more thought!


And here's my little container of braces wax.  This always came in handy to prevent wires from sticking into my cheeks.


As you can see, I got into the habit of swiping these when I was at the ortho!  I also liked to grab those little packets of "o" shaped elastics for my braces, but for some reason I couldn't find any in my house. I used to have a lot of those.


I bought this little dental mirror so I could look at my orthodontic hardware. I seem to recall it wasn't all that easy to use when you are looking into your own mouth. 

There were other items I wish I could locate: my old waterpik (or actually a generic version of a waterpik), my special brushes the ortho gave me to reach between the brackets, and, as noted above, my elastics. If I find any, I'll be sure to post them.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to share this wonderful post with us. This was incredible to take a look back to the past on your dental care. Have a great rest of your day.
    Dentist Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete