Thursday, March 2, 2017

Questions by a reader, and my answers

One of my readers, Geo, has been reading my account of having adult braces, and has asked me some questions about my braces experience. Here are the questions:
How was your romantic life effected? What were elastics like for you? Any run ins with people you used to know who saw your new braces? How'd you introduce them to friends? Any moments you wish you could rip them off?
And here are my rsponses:

How was your romantic life effected?

My romantic life:  I was always a bit of a loner, and at the time I got by braces, I was working in a job that involved little social contact other than some of the other employees and my boss.  It was a new job in a new location, and I was not really dating at the time. I was told a year or two before about the need for braces from my dentist, but did not yet follow through on it. I did not intend to stay in that job forever, but it occurred to me that it was a good time to go ahead with the braces treatment, due to my minimal social contact or social life.  So, I went for it. Ironically, it was shortly after I got my braces that someone set me up on a date with someone. We contacted each other by email first and then set up a date.

I decided on our first date I would just be causal about it, and try to not make any deal at all about my braces. I did not actually tell my date about the braces beforehand.  It was a odd circumstance for me, I guess.  The date went well, and I had no comment about my braces. She did ask whether I had been a nerd in high school, which may have been about my braces, or maybe just about my overall demeanor. (I guess I am a little on the shy, semi-nerdy side.)  I do not recall my answer.

During the rest of my dating, she did comment here and there about my braces. Just routine stuff, nothing too odd or weird. During one incident of lovemaking, I noticed that she seemed to intentionally be trying to lick my braces with her teeth.  This happened one time, and I think her tougue got a little stuck on it, which explains why she never did it again. LOL. I dated her for two years with braces, and shortly after I got my braces off, we got married.

What were elastics like for you?

Elastics: I seem to recall that in the initial months of my treatment, I did not have elastics. Then, after some time, I was prescribed two elastics, one on each side of my mouth, connecting my upper braces to my lower. They were to be worn 24/7. That stayed that way for a time. Then further along, for a few months, I was prescribed longer elastics which were to be worn in a triangle pattern between the top and bottom teeth.  These elastics were more heavy duty, and I was given a pliers-like appliance to apply them to my braces.  Then finally, to the very end of my treatment, I was prescribed wearing a whole bunch of elastics . . .the same type of elastics that I had originally on opposite sides of my mouth, except this time I had several on both sides of my mouth.  I think like three on each side, making it quite difficult to talk. and that was it.

Any run ins with people you used to know who saw your new braces?  

A few. I did have friends from before that I visited, or they visited me at my new location. One did ask me, "so you have braces now?" and I told him yes, and mentioned that I was told I needed them. Another friend also visited me, and made no mention whatsoever of my braces, although he had to have seen them. This second friend was at my apartment, and made a vague comment about the waterpik device I had (which he saw out) . . . which was an odd reference which I think was meant to get me to talk about my braces. But I didn't really say anything further.

How'd you introduce them to friends? 

I usually didn't. I just tried to be casual about them, making no comments myself, and just responded to any comments by my friends.

Any moments you wish you could rip them off?

No, not really. But I was in the habit of asking my ortho about how we were in the process, and how much longer it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment